Friday, March 11, 2011

Book talking: Middle School

My favorite part of the job, no doubt, is getting the books into the hands of kids. For me, there's no better way than through book talking.

I've been book talking all day to the 7th grade at our local middle school. In 6 hours, I reach 200 kids by doing nothing but talking about a cool mix of books and showing off book trailers.

This time, I mixed things up. I usually only talk 7 or 8 titles all day. Today, though, I decided to put up 20 titles and play it by ear. I'm just talking and showing what I feel like, and I an gauging it on the kids, too.

Top picks so far? The kids LOVE the trailer for The True Meaning of Smekday. My most requested titles so far are Trapped, The Chosen One, and Dirty Little Secrets. They're also feeling Meanwhile.

Favorite moment so far, though, has been hearing the kids share their own 6-word memoirs, as well as letting one kid do the book talk for Chasing Lincoln's Killer for me. If you don't let your kids do the talking once in a while, well, you're missing out. Sometimes, they sell the books to their peers even better than you.

Here are today's books. Ever talked these? I'd be happy to share my tips and suggestions if you want to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment